{Story Time} To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird"?


When my ZTA book club chose this book for August, I was, honestly, a little disappointed.  I had already read To Kill a Mockingbird when I was younger, and though I loved it, I wanted to read something new.


Now that I've finished it, I'm so glad we read it.  It is one of the greatest books ever written, in my opinion.  It's a book that challenges the status quo with a childlike innocence and frankness that makes it easy to read.  It questions the education system, race relations, class lines, what it means to be courageous, the relationship between adults and children, and what it means to be a true lady.

I love this quote about Miss Maudie Atkinson, "for someone who spent all the daylight hours outdoors, Miss Maudie's command of Scripture was formidable," (Scout  ch 16).  I hope to be a woman like that someday.

Other great quotes:

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand." - Atticus ch 11

"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout ch 23

"When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em." - Atticus ch 9

 

Xoxo E

Comments

Popular Posts