Drop whatever you're doing and get this book

Yesterday, I finished reading the most wonderful book called the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  As an avid reader, I constantly find myself buried in one book or another, but this book has instantly moved itself onto my shelf of favorites.  These favorite books are near and dear to my heart, like old friends; they are the best of the best, the cream of the crop, and when I finish reading them, I find that I miss them.  There is a bitter sweetness that comes with finishing a book; on the one hand you feel joy that all of the puzzle pieces have FINALLY come together and the loose ends have been tied up.  On the other, the book is over and you feel a loss.  I felt that way at the end of this book.  While I read it, it was as if I was there on Guernsey picnicking, having book meetings, and just enjoying the company of Juliet, Isola, Kit and Dawsey.  I want to see what they are up to now, but I can't, because I got to "the end." 

So, I am doing what any person who misses her friends would do, I am going for a visit.  I am rereading my favorite parts, well basically the whole book - the whole thing was my favorite.  I cried, laughed, and reminisced along with these gems of characters, and I sincerely hope you will too.  I insist that you read it (especially if you love to read, like I do), preferably on a porch in the sun with a glass of lemonade, some homemade cookies, and a bouquet of wildflowers within reach.

Happy reading!
Xoxo, 
E

P.S. Some old Guernsey pictures from here:






Comments

Popular Posts