Growing Goals

I love making goals, to-do lists, planning how I will be more organized or disciplined, romanticizing about fun excursions to take.


(Source: Artist Collective - Illegal Art)

However, when it comes to executing my lofty ideas, things tend to unravel.



(Source: Joseph Starr)

It’s that time of year when I can think of a million things I want to accomplish. The season for New Year’s resolutions has passed – and I already fell hard off that band wagon, but with spring in full swing and new life emerging everywhere I find budding desires for personal growth and development popping up alongside all the flowers. The question is, will these desires reach full bloom


(Source: self)

or wither away?


(Source: Gastonisthebest Flickr)

Or worse, will I trample my own emerging goals underfoot and sabotage myself?!


(Source: Lin Pernille Flickr)

One tendency I have is to think too hard about the results rather than the baby steps that must occur to make my plans a reality. Before a plant can grow it has to be planted well and watered. One big must is it can’t be too close to other plants or it will get tangled up.


(Source: Casso.Catina Flickr)

This is the problem I have when I plant my goals – I try to plant a million goals at once instead of focusing all of my effort on one goal.


This season of goal making, I make it a goal to take it slow, stay focused, and not get discouraged and give up when things don’t go according to plan or there are setbacks.


(Source: Cute Overload)

Slow and steady wins the race, right?


That being said!


GOAL #1:


“It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.”


-Psalm 127:2



A year ago, when I was still in school, I would wake up and spend luxurious hours reading my bible and praying before my late classes. However, now that I’m a working lady, I realize how good I used to have it. I’m lucky if I get out the door with my teeth brushed, let alone bible study and prayer time under my belt. Lately, I have been thirsting for God’s word throughout the day because I don’t start with it.


(Source: Studded Hearts)

The root of not starting with it is partially laziness, but mostly a lack of discipline; I do not make an effort to get to bed at a reasonable hour so as to wake up refreshed and able to fully participate in my quiet time with the Lord. Even when I do get up I’m a big ol’ groggy mess!


(Source: Chicago Reader)

I resolve to be disciplined about sleep with the goal being to wake up and have quiet time before I go to work.






Friends, hold me accountable! What are your goals? Post how I can be encouraging you!


(Source: The Situationalist)

Xoxo E

Comments

Popular Posts