Chatting with the Boppy

A few days ago, I had a wonderful talk with my grandpa (more affectionately known as “Bop” or “Boppy”). It isn't often I get to do this – He's not supper talkative and I usually chat with my grandma because, aside from the fact that we are kindred spirits and enjoy chatting, we always have something to catch up on or business to discuss.


When I called to talk, however, Bop was in a chatty mood and my Grammy wasn’t home, we had a nice long discussion! He shared a really interesting story I had never heard, about how he changed careers years ago, and how it was “the best move [he had] ever made.”


He used to work for Prudential Insurance in New Jersey, setting up some of their first computers. One day, on a whim, he and his friends went up to New York to interview for Hughes aircraft and to party that evening in the big city.


(Source: Chrisitan Montone Flickr)


He ended up getting the job and having to leave everything and take his young family out to California.



(Source: Ant Farmers Almanac)


He got there and the office was in a huge aircraft carrier – no windows and low light – his initial thought was “Crap, what did I get myself into!” He ended up loving it though; he sometimes got to ride in a private plane or helicopter to work and land on the company’s private landing strip! I told him about the sea planes I always see here and how cool they look – he has ridden in one of those too ~ Fancy Schmancy!


(Source: Aviation Explored)


Bop has this great Irish wit and always has something snarky to say. Some gems from our talk:


ME: What have you been up to lately?
BOP: Well I’m about 6’4” now
ME: haha
BOP: Yeah, I’ve started shrinking in my old age


ME: Is Grammy home?
BOP: Nope, she’s out with her boyfriend.


ME: So what did you do today?
Bop: We’ll I rolled around in my wheelchair a bit – that’s what I do now that I’m an old geezer. (He does not really have a wheelchair).


 
Xoxo E

Comments

  1. LOVE THAT!!!! Got a little teary reading it...<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts